Italian Visa Application in Nigeria: Step By Step Guide
It is important to know and understand how to apply for an Italian Visa from Nigeria. The first thing you have to know that Italy is one of the Schengen states and follow the Schengen visa application rules which include the following:
- If Italy is your main and only destination, you should apply for your Visa at the Italian Consulate in Lagos. However, if you intend to visit more than one country which is also a Schengen country, you have to apply at the Embassy of the Country where you intend to spend the most time, or at the embassy of the country which you intend to visit first.
Categories of Italian Visa
There are different types of Italian Visas and knowing the appropriate one to apply for would depend on your reason for visit and your intended period of stay.
If you want to apply for visas that fall into the short term category, you can do that at the VFS Visa Application Center but if you are applying for a long term visa, you can only do that at the Italian consulate 1T 12, Walter Carrington Crescent, VI Lagos.
Types of Visas
Short Term Visas
The following visas fall under the short term visa categories:
Business Visas: These are for people who wish to visit Italy for business or skilled professionals like Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, etc.
Tourist Visas: These are for people who wish to visit Italy for tourism purposes. The visa can be issued for a maximum of 90 days.
Medical Treatment Visas: These are for people who need to undergo special medical treatments in Italy. The visa is valid for only 90 days.
Religious Visas: This is issued to religious workers and clergy men who belong to religious denominations recognized by the Italian Ministry of Interior. Religious visas are also valid for only 90 days.
Sports Visas: This category of visa is for people who are travelling to Italy to participate in sports competitions. This type of visa can only be issued if it is approved by the Italian National Olympic Committee.
Other types of short term visas include conference visas, study visas, visitation visas and Government delegation visas.
To apply for a short term visa, you should simply do the following:
- You must have the new biometric Nigerian passports with at least three empty pages for your visa sticker.
- Download the appropriate visa application forms online and fill it appropriately.
- Fill a declaration form that all the information you have provided is true and complete.
- Provide a typed information sheet containing your personal details, including names, addresses and telephone numbers.
- For multiple entry visas, provide a written guarantee of health insurance coverage.
- Submit all required documents along with your passport to the VFS Visa Application Center.
- Visit www.italy-ng.com to track you visa application process.
Long Term Visas
Visas that fall under the long term visa categories include Family reunion visas, re-entry visas, employment visas, Independent work visas and E.U citizens’ family members’ visas.
The application process is the same as those of the short term visas, with the only difference being that you have to direct your application to the Italian Consulate instead of the VFS visa application center.
See Also: Nigeria Election Hub 2019