American (U.S.) Visa Appointment in Nigeria
This post discusses how to schedule a visa appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.
Before scheduling your appointment, there are certain steps you should have taken, such as choosing your visa type, paying for your visa, and completing your DS-160 visa application form. (Click here to read more about the preceding steps.)
To schedule a nonimmigrant visa appointment, you must have the following information and documents available:
- A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.
- Your visa application fee payment receipt from GTBank
- Your DS-160 confirmation page
- Valid e-mail address and telephone number
- If applicable, required documents based on visa class (such as a copy of your petition approval for petition-based visas, I-20 for student visas, DS-2019 for exchange visitor visas, etc.; more information about visa types and information about each can be found here).
Provided you’ve completed your DS-160 form, you can schedule your interview within a few hours of paying your visa application fee at a GTBank branch.
To schedule your appointment, you will need the payment code printed on your receipt. (This is the UID given to you at GTBank, or when you created your online profile.) You also need to have your passport number in order to schedule your visa interview.
After payment, you can book your interview as soon as few hours after making payment and obtaining your receipt. For detailed information regarding the different fee payment processing times and when you can schedule your interview after paying your application fee, click here.
Scheduling your appointment
Create a profile on the U.S. visa application website. You can do that by clicking here.
Complete all fields and create a password. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard.
On the left-hand side, click on “Schedule Appointment.”
This will start the process for scheduling your appointment. For each applicant being scheduled you will need:
- The applicant’s passport number
- The receipt number from GT Bank receipt. (Click here if you need help finding this number.)
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from the applicant’s DS-160 confirmation page
As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment and finally, schedule your appointment.
Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview. Be sure to check the Schedule My Appointment page for the necessary documentation needed for your appointment.