188,580 constituents sign registers to recall Senator Dino Melaye
– The process to recall Senator Dino Melaye seems to have been successful
– The senator representing Kogi West senatorial district is at loggerheads with political leaders in Kogi state
– The leaders say they now have the signatures required to recall the controversial senator
A total of 188,580 electorates from Kogi West Senatorial District have signed the registers to recall Senator Dino Melaye.
Announcing the figures at the All progressives Congress (APC) state secretariat in Lokoja, the Kogi state capital, the returning officer for the recall exercise, Adamu Yusuf explained that out of 360,098 of the total registered voters of the seven local governments in the area, 188, 588 have signed.
The local governments in the senatorial district are Yagba West, Mopa Muro, Kabba Bunu, Yagba East, Koton Karfe, Lokoja and Ijumu.
ngvotes.com cannot independently verify if Yusuf’s claims are true.
Based on the figures given, the number constitutes 52.3% of the overall voters in senatorial district.
Although, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is expected to verify the authenticity of the process.
Yusuf gave the breakdown of each local government as follows:
1. Yagba East – Out of 35,331 registered voters, 18, 374 (52%) signed
2. Mopa Muro – Out of 18,356 registered voters, 9,186 (50.04%) signed
3. Kabba Bunu – Out of 60,522 registered voters, 28,277 (46.7%) signed
4. Lokoja – Out of 116,296 registered voters, 63, 736 (54.8%) signed
5. Yagba West – Out of 35,966 registered voters, 20,029 (55.7%) signed
6. Ijumu – Out of 46,819 registered voters, 24, 238 (51.8%) signed
7. Koton Karfe – 24,703 (52.77%) signed
“Going by the above figures, it is important to let Nigerians know that we have met the constitutional requirements of 51.1%. Dino has failed to represent Kogi West so we are calling him back home,” Yusuf announced.
ngvotes.com gathered that the seven local government administrators in the senatorial district were all present during the exercise.
Last week, Senator Melaye expressed confidence that the process to recall him from the Nigerian Senate will fail.
The senator stated that the required number of voters needed to recall him cannot be attained.
“The requirement is at least one vote above 50% of total registered voters. 50% of total registered voters in Kogi West is 173,394.
“They need a minimum of 173,395 signatures before INEC can proceed to next step,” Melaye wrote on his Facebook page.
ngvotes.com‘s visit to the Lokoja and Koton Karfe local government areas on Saturday, June 10 however, indicates that the people are keen on recalling the controversial senator.